You know those times when you come home from work/the gym/wherever, you’re totally starving, you have no leftovers in the fridge, and no brain power to think of how to make something that doesn’t taste boring, let alone something that’s Whole30-friendly?? This is me about… 90% of the time. Aka whenever I’m not following a recipe. And this is where a well-stocked Whole30 Pantry becomes the key to your Whole30 success, and this list of my favorite 10 Whole30 Pantry Staples becomes your best friend. Oh, and scroll down for a freebie – a Whole30 Pantry Stocking Checklist!
These are the Whole30 pantry staples I can’t live without, and absolutely CANNOT do a Whole30 without having these on hand. Sure, you can throw in some fancy ingredients like truffle salt, fish sauce, coconut aminos, and some fancy vinegars…but those are all frill, as far as I’m concerned. Nice to have them, but these things? I NEED IN MY LIFE or Whole30 ain’t happening.
IMPORTANT: Remember to check ingredient labels! I get most of this stuff online on Amazon or Thrive Market to save some $$!
Here are my top 10 favorite Whole30 Pantry Essentials!
1. Minced GARLIC. To save you eons of time in the kitchen.
- Where to buy: Thrive Market, or in a giant container at Costco!
- How to use it: Substitute in any recipe that calls for garlic. 1 clove is about 1 tsp minced garlic (at least the way I cook in recipes)
- Pro Tips: after minced garlic is opened, it must be stored in the fridge. Also YES, it’s worth it to buy minced. Just wait until you see how much time you save, instead of peeling, crushing and chopping a fresh clove in every recipe ever.
2. Spices & Seasonings: Primal Palate, Real Salt, Penzey’s, or Homemade Spice Blends.
- Where to buy them: Primal Palate Spices on Amazon or Groupon(!), Penzey’s website, Real Salt on Amazon or Thrive Market
- Recipes: BBQ Pulled Pork Seasoning, Homemade Paleo Ranch Seasoning, Sunny Sweet Potato Hash, Zesty Ranch Smashed Potatoes
- Pro Tip: Make sure to store your spices in a cool, dark place (not right above the oven) so they stay fresher for longer!
3. Frank’s Red Hot -to use on EVERYTHING.
- Where to buy: Amazon or Costco, if you’re down for the huuuge size!
- How to use it: They don’t say “I put that sh*t on everything” for nothing! Try it on everything from eggs, to roasted veggies, to grilled meats. Bonus points if you serve it with my Paleo Ranch Dressing = to die for.
- Pro Tips: it doesn’t have to be stored in the fridge, but you can if you like!
4. Primal Kitchen Mayonnaise
- Where to buy: Thrive Market has it cheapest for the single items from PKF. Make sure you try out their Chipotle Lime too! Deeelish.
- Recipes: Chipotle Creamed Spinach, my Favorite Tuna Salad, Salmon with Caper Aioli, Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Pro Tips: If you know you love all the Primal Kitchen goodies, grab their Whole30 pack on Amazon (deets below)!
5. Ghee. Current Favorite: 4th and Heart – Himalayan Sea Salt Flavor.
- Where to buy: Thrive Market or Amazon
- How to use it: As a substitute for butter, coconut oil, or avocado oil in recipes.
- Pro Tip: if you use the sea salted ghee, you won’t need to add as much salt to your recipe, so pay attention to amounts! 4th and Heart also makes other amazing flavors of ghee like Truffle Salt Ghee, California Garlic Ghee, Vanilla Bean Ghee, and Original.
6. Coconut Milk
- Where to buy: Amazon (get a pack of 12 to save $$!) or Thrive Market
- Recipes: Red Coconut Curry Soup, Thai Coconut Soup with Salmon, Paleo Ranch Dressing, the Easiest Sweet Potato Curry
- Pro Tips: If you don’t use a whole can of coconut milk and are afraid it will go bad before you use it, freeze the leftovers in an ice cube tray, and use them in iced coffee!
7. Canned Salmon & Tuna
- Where to buy: Thrive Market or Amazon
- How to use them: As super quick protein options when you come home starving, or have almost no food left in the house!
- Recipes: My favorite tuna salad, Easy Salmon Cakes with Caper Aioli. Or, for a super quick meal, mix a can of salmon with 1-2 Tbsp Primal Kitchen Mayo, and add in some chopped dill, capers, and lemon. Throw it on top of salad. Done!
- Pro Tips: Go wild! Make sure you’re buying wild salmon or pole-caught tuna (it’s more sustainable, and safer). Buy in bulk to save $$!
8. Kalamata Olives
- Where to buy: Thrive Market or Costco if you want the humongous I-don’t-know-if-this-will-fit-in-my-fridge-with-all-my-stuff size!
- How to use them: To add some healthy fats and boost of flavor to any savory dishes!
- Recipes: One-Pan Summer Greek Shrimp Skillet, Mediterranean Zucchini Pasta, Curry Cauliflower Rice, Turmeric & Cumin Roasted Cauliflower & Olives
- Pro Tips: Make sure you get pitted olives. Unless you want to spend eons picking those pits out of your mouth. #notworthit
- Where to buy them: Thrive Market or Costco if you want the giiiiant size!
- How to use them: with pretty much anything and everything with salmon. Also weirdly delicious with hot sauce.
- Recipes: Lemon Dill Salmon with Caper Aioli, Smoked Salmon Frittata, Simple Salmon Cakes with Lemon Caper Aioli
10. Snack Bars: RXBars / BRICKS Bars
- Where to buy: Whole30 Pack of RXBars on Amazon, on the RXBar website (use THIS LINK for $5 off and free shipping!), or BRICKS Bars on Thrive Market.
- How to use them: As emergency snacks, NOT as a staple every single day.
Bonus: Tessemae’s Dressings
- You really think I could make a Whole30 Pantry list without including my love, Tessemae’s dressings?? NOPE. Technically you find them in the fridge, so they’re a bonus on this list. But if you’ve never tried them…YOU MUST.
- Where to buy: Whole Foods, Safeway, Giant, Publix, on the Tessemae’s website, or on Amazon.
- Recipes: Pulled Pork & Sweet Potato Nachos, Summer Greek Shrimp Skillet, Bacon-Wrapped Asparagus with Chimichurri, Warm Brussels Sprouts Salad with Apples & Walnuts
Bonus: Sea salt – okay, let’s be honest…
I didn’t include sea salt on this list because CAN YOU EVEN THINK ABOUT COOKING WITHOUT SEA SALT? Answer: no. Also, since you’re eating (mostly) whole, totally unprocessed foods on Whole30 – aka those that don’t have any added salt – you SHOULD be adding salt to all your food! Grab some on Thrive Market or Amazon. Put on literally everything. And check out this post to see if your salt is REAL (or just a bunch of chemical bullsh*t posing as salt…).
What’re your favorite Whole30 Pantry Staples, that you can’t live/do a Whole30 without??
Want more Whole30 guides, tips & tricks? Check these out!