I’m feeling tropical today.
Probably because as you are reading this, I’m on my way to PUNTA CANA!! Or perhaps sitting burning on the beach already. There’s no escaping the burn for this chick, even with 100+ broad spectrum sunscreen. The struggle is real. At least it’ll eventually turn into tan and I won’t be my typical ghostly white/translucent self this winter.
So how about a little taste of the tropics today? No, unfortunately I can’t send you a pina colada or strawberry daquiri. Besides, since I’ve been doing the 21-day sugar detox one of those drinks is prooobably going to send me into a sugar coma and/or make my stomach do flips. Yikes.
Let’s stick with this salad instead. It’s light, refreshing, and citrus-y enough to make you almost forget that it’s the middle of December and freezing outside. It’s okay, you can live vicariously through me. I don’t mind.
But first, I have a bone to pick with salads. They’re great and all for getting your greens/veggies in, but one of my biggest pet peeves is ordering one at a restaurant and leaving hungry. After paying probably $15-20 or MORE for it because that’s how expensive DC is. RUDE. Ain’t nobody got time (or money) for that. So when I make them at home, they’re usually huge a** salads. Chalk full of the good stuff. Usually with Tessemae’s dressing cuz that stuff is the bomb.com. Still very healthy and tasty of course, but won’t leave you feeling hungry.
Let’s take our tastebuds to warmer climates, shall we? See you when I’m super tan and freckly.
- 1 large chicken breast (about 6-8 oz), cut in half
- ¼ tsp salt, pepper (omit for AIP) and garlic powder
- 4 handfuls lettuce - spring mix or spinach
- 1 grapefruit
- 1 avocado
- ½ roasted delicata squash, cut into bite-sized chunks (I used leftovers)
- optional: small handful chopped walnuts (omit for AIP)
- 2-4 Tbsp good quality balsamic vinegar or Tessemae's Balsamic dressing
- Preheat your oven to 375.
- Coat a glass baking dish with some olive oil and plop your chicken down in there. Season it on both sides with a sprinkle of salt, pepper, garlic, and lemon juice.
- When the oven is ready, pop the chicken in there and cook for about 20-25 minutes, until no pink remains in the center.
- While the chicken is baking, prepare the rest of the salad. Remove the grapefruit and avocado flesh from their skins, and chop them into bite-sized chunks.
- To assemble the salad, divide the lettuce in two large bowls or plates. Top each with half the avocado, grapefruit, chopped delicata squash, and walnuts, if using.
- When the chicken is done, slice and dice it how you like it, then throw it on top of the salad. Not literally, you don't want to clean that mess up later.
- Top with balsamic vinegar or Tessemae's balsamic dressing.
You could substitute any roasted winter squash here, delicata just happens to be my favorite. Here’s one of my roasted delicata squash recipes. Look for Tessemae’s at your local Safeway, Whole Foods or Costco! Their dressings are seriously the bomb.com.