I don’t think I’ve met anyone in my entire life who doesn’t love Chipotle. Whether you call it a guilty pleasure or a daily necessity, you’ve gotta admit – it’s freaking awesome.
Plus I just looove eating things out of bowls. And mini cast iron skillets. It’s kinda my thing.
This is my favorite way to create a quick lunch – to build a bowl just like you would at Chipotle or any of those ever-so-popular fast-casual restaurants that are popping up everywhere these days. You know, the ones where you go down the line, pick your base + whatever toppings you want. In my case, it’s: throw in a bunch of veggies, a protein, some healthy fats, sauce, and donezo. If I’m going to work out before my next meal or I just worked out, I’ll throw some starch in there, like sweet potatoes or plantains. And boom – faceplant.
With this recipe I’m aiming to give you guys a fancified, pinky-up, paleo version of everyone’s favorite burrito bowl, and made it almost as fast as you’d get it at chipotle by using frozen organic veggies from Whole Foods! I swapped bison for the protein (but feel free to sub chicken, pork, or steak), used frozen organic cauliflower rice and frozen mixed peppers to take the chopping and rice-ing out of the equation, threw in some kale at the last minute for some greens, and topped it all off with salsa and sliced avocado (as all good burrito bowls should end). Ooooobviously.
- 1 Tbsp ghee or olive oil
- 1 lb ground buffalo/bison
- 1 bag 365 Cauliflower Rice
- 1 bag 365 Mixed Bell Peppers
- ½ bunch kale, washed and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp cumin*
- ¼ tsp paprika*
- ¼ cup salsa + extra, for serving
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1 avocado, sliced, for serving
- Chopped cilantro, for serving
- Optional: Plantain chips, for serving.
- Preheat a medium sized skillet with ghee or olive oil. Add the ground meat, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, and sprinkle 1 tsp sea salt, 1 tsp minced garlic, cumin and paprika over the meat. Continue to stir every few minutes until cooked through - it should take about 5-7 minutes. Add ¼ cup salsa to the meat mixture just before it’s finished cooking. Then, remove from the heat until ready to serve.
- Meanwhile, preheat a large skillet and add the frozen cauliflower rice + frozen peppers. Season with ½ tsp sea salt + the other tsp minced garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, on medium heat until the vegetables are cooked but not mushy (It should take about the same amount of time as the meat!). In the last 1-2 minutes, stir in the lime juice and chopped kale just so it wilts a little.
- Now, build your bowls! Start with the veggies on the bottom, then spoon the meat on top. Add salsa and sliced avocado to each bowl, then garnish with cilantro if you like. Season to taste with salt and pepper (and maybe some hot sauce, if that’s your thing!)
- Devour. Maybe serve with some plantain chips because they’re the beeeest.
Like this recipe? You’ll love these too!
This recipe is part of a sponsored collaboration with Whole Foods. All opinions and ideas are my own. Oooobviously.