Ever heard of the 21-Day Sugar Detox? It’s a kicka**, whole-foods-based reset for your body to bust your (you guessed it) sugar and carb cravings. And, well, I’m doing it right now. Save those eye rolls, I already know what you’re thinking. What kind of crazy person does a sugar detox in the middle of all of the holiday cookies-brownies-cakes-pies-chocolate-miscellaeous-treats-I-enjoy-shoving-my-face-with-during-december festivities??
Well, this girl. When you’re dealing with serious stomach and autoimmune issues that are aggravated by sugar, sometimes you have to bite the (non-chocolate-covered) bullet or risk feeling like bullsh*t alllll the time. Ain’t nobody got time fo’ that. Plus I’m going to Punta Cana in 2 weeks and I’d like to feel fantastic before I go down there. Winter tan here I comeeee….okay more like winter lobster burn. My (pale) irish skin and reddish hair will be out in full force reminding me that I do not tan like my Filipino friend who I’m going down with. Bring on the sunscreen. #lobsterstatus
So on the 21DSD (for short) you cut out all processed food and added sugars, and just focus on eating real foods. None of this crazy YOU CAN ONLY HAVE LEMON WATER WITH CAYENNE FOR BREAKFAST HALF A GRAPEFRUIT FOR LUNCH AND PLAIN CHICKEN BREAST FOR DINNER. Noooo, no. That’s definitely not my kind of thing. Neither are juice fast/cleanses/whatever you want to call them. Just can’t get into it. I like to eat actual, solid food, not just liquid. Plus, everybody knows when you do those things you lose epic weight but then put it right back on when you start eating real food again. OBVIOUSLY. Sorry for the rant.
Basically, with the 21DSD you’re going strict paleo for 21 days + you eliminate most fruits and starchy carb vegetables like plantains and sweet potatoes. And you feel AMAZING (after a iffy few days, obviously). Hello, clearer skin, squashed sugar cravings, more energy, sleeping like a baby, and feeling amazingly strong in your workouts. And it’s just three weeks! (P.S. no one is paying me to say this – all sassy opinions are my own!)
SO. Remember when I made Turkey Sliders with sweet potato buns and cranberry aioli? Well, those buns got me thinking. What if I made them with something else equally as delicious as sweet potatoes, but that I could have on the 21DSD? Like…delicata squash? YES. My favorite of alllll the winter squashes.
So a breakfast sandwich was born. Specifically with smoked salmon, spinach, a fried egg, and these delicata squash pancakes. or buns. whatever you want to call them. How about little pillows of deliciousness. And yes, this is real delicious food you can eat on the 21DSD. Doesn’t seem so bad now, does it? Plus I added my chimichurri sauce on top. Obviously. #addicted.
Have you ever done a sugar detox? the 21DSD? What did you think of it?
- coconut oil for the pan (about 1-2 Tbsp)
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp coconut flour
- ½ tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp dried rosemary or basil
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 3 cups shredded delicata squash (cut it up in large chunks, then put it through the food processor shredder attachment or use a large hand grater)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, coconut flour, garlic, rosemary, and basil. Mix in the shredded squash until the eggs are evenly distributed.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet (or pancake griddle) over medium-low heat with coconut oil. Make sure the bottom of the pan is well coated so the cakes don’t stick.
- Use a ½ cup measure to spoon heaping ½c portions into the pan so they’re shaped like pancakes. Use the bottom of the measuring cup or a spatula to flatten them out a little bit. I can fit about 3 at a time in my cast iron, or more on the pancake griddle.
- Cook for about 3-4 minutes per side, until the egg is cooked through.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. You can eat them alone with some extra salt and pepper, with eggs, avocado, or with a breakfast sandwich like mine! They’re also great with chimichurri sauce.
Inspired by Balanced Bites’ Sweet Potato pancakes.