Confession: I posted a version of this recipe about a month ago. But I wasn’t totally satisfied with it, so I jacked it up and now it’s even BETTER than before. Which is saying a lot, considering I ate this recipe 3 times in one week while I was developing it and loved it every time. So here we go!
But ok seriously, May?? Let’s get on with the warm weather here. I’m over this 35 degree overnight bullsh*t. You give us a couple nice 65+ or even 80 degree days and then BAM it’s cold and rainy again. RUDE. I thought when I left Vermont after graduating college I would be DONE with the cold weather by April at least. Apparently not.
So I thought, why not make a recipe that reminds me of summer? Even better, how about one that reminds you of a dream vacation on the sunny beaches of Hawaii?
Oh yeah. Aloha to that.
Whoever first thought to put pineapple on a burger was a freaking genius. And then, whoever thought to grill that pineapple and then put it on the burger was an even bigger genius. If you haven’t tried this amazing sweet and savory combination, you’ve been missing out, my friend. Don’t worry, I’ve got you covered with this recipe!
Know what else is great about this combo? I’ve added something called Awesome Sauce on top. Yes, I’m calling it awesome sauce. It sounds much better than mayo-based-coconut aminos-lime-garlic-ginger-hot sauce and it is awesome. Thus awesome sauce was born. Did I mention I’m using this insanely delicious mayonnaise from Primal Kitchen Foods that’s made with avocado oil and zero weird ingredients? No, they do not pay me to say that. It’s just delicious so I thought I’d share. Plus, convenience for the win. #lazinesstrumpsall
Then I took it to a whole new level of taste bud explosion: you pop some of this kicka** sriracha on top from Fix Hot Sauce. Zero junk ingredients, zero chemicals, maximum awesome. No, they do not pay me either. I only share delicious things I like with you guys. Here’s the players…
So back to the recipe. Let me tell you about the number of insanely delicious layers of flavor on this burger. First, you’ve got the burger itself, which is spiced up with garlic, ginger, and coconut aminos. Then, you’ve got the kicka** Awesome sauce on top, adding in a creamy, cooling, yet savory, and hit. And next, here comes the delicious pineapple-ginger relish. of sweet, warming, and slightly caramelized pineapple. And finally, to top it all off, you’ve got a dash spicy sriracha.
Cue the taste bud-gasm. New word. It’s going to happen. Unlike “that’s so fetch” à la Gretchen Weiners. Sorry Gretchen, It’s just not. going. to happen.
You know what would also be fantastic on this burger? My Secret Recipe Guacamole. Just sayin’.
Now if someone would just buy me a plane ticket to Hawaii and send me on my way right about now, that would be fantastic. K thanks. This burger will have to do for now.
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 Tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tsp fresh minced garlic (about 1-2 cloves)
- 1 tsp fresh minced ginger
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼c Primal Kitchen Foods mayo (or homemade mayonnaise)
- ½ tsp dried garlic
- 2 tsp coconut aminos
- 1 tsp lime juice
- ½ tsp fresh minced ginger
- a dash of Fix Hot Sauce (sriracha)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup small diced pineapple
- ½ tsp fresh minced ginger
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients for the burgers (except coconut oil) with your hands and form into 3-4 burger balls and flatten them slightly with your hand. Set aside.
- For the awesome sauce, in a small bowl stir together the mayonnaise, ½ tsp dried garlic, 2 tsp coconut aminos,1 tsp lime juice, ½ tsp fresh minced ginger, and hot sauce, if using. Pop it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to eat.
- For the pineapple-ginger relish, heat a medium sized skillet with 1 Tbsp coconut oil over medium heat. When the oil is completely melted and the pan is hot, add the ginger and give it a stir with a wooden spoon for 30 seconds. If the oil is popping, the pan is too hot! Turn it down a little before adding anything.
- Add in the pineapple and sauté on medium-high heat for 3 minutes, then flip the pieces over with a wooden spoon or spatula and sauté for 3 minutes more.
- Turn the heat down to a simmer and keep the pineapple cooking until the burgers are done, stirring every few minutes.
- Meanwhile, for the burgers, heat a large cast iron skillet to medium heat with 1 Tbsp coconut oil. (You could also use a grill outside if it’s warm!)
- When it’s hot, place the burgers down in the pan and cook for 5 minutes on each side, until cooked through. Let them rest for about 3-4 minutes before you cut into them so they stay juicy.
- Take the awesome sauce out of the fridge, turn the heat off the pineapple, and assemble the burgers. I like to eat them on a salad with sweet potato fries on the side, or on top of sweet potato hash. Put your salad or hash down first on the plate, the burger on top, then the awesome sauce and pineapple.Feel free to add some more Fix Hot Sauce like I did!
- Devour. P.S. - sweet potato fries dipped in the sauce are amazing.
Have you ever been to Hawaii? What’s your favorite summer food?