Happy election day, folks!! We’re not talking politics here, DON’T WORRY. Yeesh. Don’t get your panties in a bunch. Instead, let’s celebrate today with one of the most AMERICA (yes, read in a shouting voice, or #murica, if you will) recipes I can think of – Pulled Pork Sweet Potato Nachos. Heck to the yes. Because what’s more American than football food?! Well, besides like Apple Pie and Thanksgiving recipes. But hey, those are coming later this month, so you don’t have long to wait!
These babies are deeefinitely going on my Super Bowl party menu this season…and maybe every Sunday while I’m watching football games? Sorry not sorry at all. Even if you don’t like football, we can all agree on one thing – if you’re going to be watching a game, delicious food makes it sooo much more enjoyable!
The great thing is, this recipe seems so impressive looking (and maybe even a little intimidating!), but it really is super simple to throw together and wow your guests. Just make sure you take some for yourself before taking into the room where everyone is watching the game, or they might be totally gone by the time you get back! Just check out these toppings. Drooool.
Here’s the thing: you can throw on as many toppings as you want. I designed this recipe to serve 6 people-ish…but if you’re serving it with other tailgate food, it might stretch for more or less, depending on how hungry you guys are! Throw on as many peppers and onions as you want, load it up with pulled pork, whatever strikes your fancy. You do you, my friend.
Pro tip for this recipe: make the pork a day in advance, or at least prepare it/throw it in the slow cooker the morning you want to make this recipe. Then, when it’s almost done, you can prep the rest of the ingredients. Prep the sweet potatoes first, then while they’re in the oven, you can do the slicing, dicing, and cooking for all the rest of the ingredients. Then when the pork and potatoes come out: layer, baby, layer! Drizzle with Tessemae’s new Creamy Ranch because it’s the best thing in the entire world. And devour.
- 6 servings Smoky BBQ Pulled Pork (about 3 cups worth)
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, sliced into rounds about ¼-½ inch thick
- 2 Tbsp melted coconut oil or ghee, divided
- 2 cups sliced bell peppers (about 2-3 medium sized peppers)*
- ¼ red onion, diced small
- 3-4 scallions, diced
- Optional: 1 jalapeno, sliced into thin rings
- 2 cups shredded lettuce: romaine or arugula
- Tessemae’s Ranch, for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 375. Prepare a large baking sheet with parchment paper (you may need to use 2 baking sheets). Place the sweet potato rounds on the prepared baking sheets. Brush the sweet potatoes with 1 Tbsp of the melted oil.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until cooked through but not mushy.
- While the sweet potatoes are baking, sauté the peppers and red onions in a medium sized skillet with the other tablespoon of oil for about 5 minutes, until just softened. Set aside.
- If using leftover pork, in the same skillet, cook the pork until crispy - about 5-10 minutes. (Otherwise, if it’s hot already because you just made it, set aside the hot pork until you build your plate).
- When the sweet potatoes are done, layer them in a cast iron skillet or large serving dish. Top with crispy pork, peppers and onions, shredded lettuce, scallions, and jalapenos, if using. Serve drizzled with Tessemae’s Ranch!
Looking for more Football-friendly/Tailgate recipes? Check these out!
This post was sponsored by my amazing friends at Tessemae’s All Natural. More delicious recipes to come!