I think my brain is totally zapped from all creativity due to extreme sensory overload this weekend at an EDM concert.
Real talk though, those concerts are an epileptic’s worst nightmare. Think of it as an all-out assault on your senses…super loud (awesome) music with a bass so strong you can feel it in your bones, a light show of colors, lazers, and flashing/strobe lights, occasional blasts of confetti covering the crowd, tons of people dancing and singing around you at the top of their lungs.
It’s pretty awesome. But I can see how it would be pretty overwhelming unless you’re in the mood for that kind of epic dance party. Which, um, who isn’t??
My dad says it’s the worst thing he’s ever heard of in his life.
Whenever I go to those things now I feel so OLD. I’m only 25, sheesh! When did it become the norm to wear only a bead-studded bra and basically underwear to a concert?? So over my head. Kids these days…
So back to my zapped brain. All my recipe creativity is out the window right now. Good thing I had leftovers in the fridge, which made this the easiest meal ever: Step 1) throw stuff on a salad 2) put dressing on salad 3) eat. And voila, Roasted Carrot & Avocado salad was born. You know my love of roasted carrots. Aka the BEST Roasted Carrots. Or Dill Roasted Carrots & Tzatziki Sauce.
Have you ever tried them cold? No, because you always eat them up immediately and never have leftovers? I had that problem too, until I started making (almost) an entire costco-sized bag of carrots at a time when I roasted them. Eating 5 lbs of carrots in one sitting? Not advisable. Even if they’re roasted and delicious.
Depends on the mood I’m in. Summertime? Cold roasted carrots on this salad all the way. But it’s fall now. And it’s FINALLY cold enough (some days) to be considered fall in DC so I’m all on the warm roasted carrots train.
This salad is a fantastic base for whatever flavor profile mood you’re in. Mediterranean? Throw on some sun-dried tomatoes, olives, and tzatziki sauce. Classic? How about some Tessemae’s Lemon-Garlic or Balsamic dressing? Slightly spicy? Try some of my Paleo Ranch Dressing + hot sauce on top. You could also totally throw whatever leftovers you have in the fridge on top for extra protein, like Buffalo Roasted Cauliflower, Roast Chicken, Pulled Pork, Salmon Cakes, Chimichurri Sauce…or guacamole. Because guacamole makes everything better. Obviously.
- 2-4 cups mixed lettuce greens (I like spring mix + spinach)
- ½ avocado
- 1 handful leftover roasted carrots (about 4-6 carrots, depending on size)**
- Your choice of dressing, for serving: Tessemae’s, ranch dressing, chimichurri sauce, tzatziki sauce, guacamole...
- optional: leftover protein, like hard-boiled eggs, chicken, salmon, ground turkey, burgers...you name it. It’s good on this salad.
- If you don’t have roasted carrots on hand, get those in the oven ASAP. Follow this recipe for the BEST Roasted Carrots!
- Get a big bowl and put your greens in there. Slice up an avocado, and put that on the salad.
- Top with roasted carrots, dressing of your choice, and optional protein of your choice. Because everybody likes fun toppings.