I’m really into putting fruit in my guacamole lately. Don’t get me wrong – I’m a guac purist. My secret recipe guacamole is my all-time FAVORITE. Especially with some plantain chips or Siete foods Cassava Tortilla chips (THE BEST). But with summer fruit like strawberries being so amazing and delicious this time of year, I figured I’d experiment with some different flavors! Also, yes. I know Strawberry Basil Guacamole sounds totally freaking weird. But trust me on this one, it’s deeelish. Even more so when paired with my Slow Cooker Carnitas. And chips. Duh.
On a totally other note, I’m realizing I have trouble relaxing (entrepreneur problems, for sure). Prime example: I’ve been looking forward to this month for SO long: the month I would FINALLY be done with graduate school (!!!!) and working in the nutrition clinic, AND summer swim coaching – and actually have a few weeks off before my nutrition internship starts up in the fall, I start taking new nutrition clients, and I start club swim coaching again. But now that this month has rolled around, of course I can’t sit still – I started apartment hunting a week ago and will probably move soon so that’s been total craziness, and realized if I want to be ready to have the ball rolling in September, I need to start planning NOW.
It’s funny, because I go back and forth between having days where I’m super productive and getting SO much sh*t done, and other days where I’m totally day 5-6 of the Whole30 and my body is just like meeehhh I just want to take a nap and watch Westworld all day. (Which I finished last week, by the way, and it’s INSANE.)
BUT. My whole point here is this – if you want to build a profitable, authentic, sustainable business, you need to build in breaks so you can re-charge and come back stronger. Otherwise, you’ll totally run yourself into the ground (been there, done that) and then you won’t be able to continue to grow.
Solution: Take a break. Eat some guacamole. With chips (not for Whole30). and maybe some Carnitas too. Devour. Feel rested, recharged, and then go be productive AF. Winning!
- 2 ripe avocados, halved and pitted
- ½ cup loosely packed basil, chopped
- ¼ medium red onion, minced
- Juice of ½ lime (about 1 Tbsp)
- 1 tsp minced garlic (about 1 large clove)
- ½ tsp salt, plus more to taste
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced small
- Scoop the avocados out of their pits and mash with a fork or a potato masher. Leave some chunky bits, you don’t want to pulverize the crap out of it so you have pudding-like guac.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients except the strawberries.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste (and add some more jalapeno if you want it even spicier!), then fold in the sliced strawberries.