I just had a
minor major life crisis while searching through my site and realized that I don’t have a SINGLE recipe with bacon on here. At least, not one with bacon in the title OR where bacon is one of the star ingredients.
WHO AM I?!
For someone who says three of their favorite foods are bacon, BBQ, and guacamole, I’m ashamed of myself.
Jacques, I said no cleaning!…I am ashamed. Yes, I just quoted Finding Nemo. Yes, I’m 25. It’s fine.
Back to the bacon.
Isn’t it funny how when you “go paleo” people just assume all you’re eating is massive t-bone steaks and bacon all the time? Seriously though. I’ve had people ask, “Wait, that paleo thing? Isn’t that where you just eat meat all the time?” *sigh*
Joke’s on you, peeps. I probably eat more vegetables than most vegetarians. And I rarely eat steak. Bacon is more of a condiment or side dish for me than a star ingredient, 90% of the time. Does it by default make everything you’re eating more delicious? You bet. But does that mean I’m eating pounds on pounds of bacon every day? Nope.
That being said, I’m finally giving you a BACON recipe!! FINALLY, right?! And this one? In the form of pancakes. YES. But not your average, eggs and bacon and pancakes breakfast. You know, pancakes that sit like rocks in your stomach for hours and make you not want to move off the couch.
Nope. These pancakes are savory pancakes, made with vegetables, and you can use them however the heck you want. Like pancakes, with some eggs or guac on them, or like burger or sandwich buns, whatever. Or just be like me and when you finish making the recipe, stand at the stove and eat them because you’re too damn hungry to wait until you get to the table. Or eat them cold, straight out of the fridge, as leftovers. It happens. It’s fine. No judgement.
- 3 pieces thick-cut bacon
- 2 cups shredded zucchini (about 1 medium)
- 3 cups shredded sweet potato (about ½ medium potato, peeled)
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 ½ Tbsp coconut flour
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp granulated garlic
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ½ Tbsp dried rosemary
- optional: 2-3 Tbsp coconut oil
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat for about 3-4 minutes per side, until crispy but not burnt. Once it’s cooked through, set it aside to cool while you make the pancake “batter” and take the pan off the heat.
- Shred the zucchini and sweet potato with the attachment on your food processor or a box grater. Combine the shredded zucchini, sweet potato, and beaten eggs in a large bowl. Mix the ingredients together with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon.
- Combine the coconut flour, sea salt, garlic and onion powders in a small bowl. Sift them over the rest of the ingredients and them in until combined.
- Allow the batter to sit for about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, chop up the bacon into bacon bits, and mix it into the batter.
- Heat up the large skillet with the leftover bacon fat (or wipe it out, and use 2 Tbsp coconut oil). Using an ⅓ cup measure, scoop even-sized fritters into the pan. Use your hands to spread them out, so they’re pancake size!
- Cook for 3 minutes per side on medium heat. I fit 4 in my skillet, so you’ll need to do a few batches. Add extra coconut oil as needed, to keep the bottom of the skillet “wet”.
- Serve immediately. You can also make them in advance and freeze them (individually) and heat them up in the oven as needed!
Inspired by my Delicata Squash Pancakes & Diane Sanfilippo’s Sweet Potato Pancakes from Practical Paleo.