So you guys know I had Kyndra from Peace, Love and Low Carb on the podcast last week. If you missed that episode, definitely go give it a listen! We talked all things diets, cheat meals, falling off the wagon, and the biggest mistakes people are making when they try to make dietary and lifestyle shifts that last LONG TERM, instead of a quick fix. She’s the best. And this Whole30 Breakfast Egg Roll in a Bowl is inspired by one of Kyndra’s *amazing* recipes from her most recent cookbook, Craveable Keto!
Kyndra’s “crack slaw” aka Paleo Egg Roll in a Bowl is prooobably one of the most popular paleo/keto/whole30 recipes on the entire internet. Seriously. And I’ve made it every week, for months in a row. But you guys know me and my complete inability to leave a recipe alone, so I put my own spin on it – I switched up the ground pork for turkey (even used a breakfast sausage one time, which was great – and would make this a true breakfast egg roll in a bowl recipe!), changed up the veggies based on what I had in the fridge, added a fried egg on top, and added a LOT more sauce. Because I’m a sauce girl. Gimme alll the flavor explosions please.
So this recipe is called Whole30 Breakfast Egg Roll in a Bowl (because i put an egg on top and i’ve been eating it for breakfast all week) BUT honestly, I could eat this for any meal ever. Pretty sure I ate it for breakfast, lunch and dinner on repeat the first time I nailed this recipe. Ok chill, not breakfast lunch and dinner on the same DAY. But hey, I wouldn’t have minded. It’s that good.
But the cool thing about this recipe is you can completely change it up with the proteins and veggies based on what you feel like that week, and what you have on hand. I’ve done broccoli, peppers, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, and a coleslaw mix, and each was just as delicious as the other!
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp fresh minced ginger
- 1 lb ground turkey (I used dark meat ground turkey)
- ½ bag shredded brussels sprouts (about 3 heaping cups)
- ½ bag broccoli-carrot slaw (about 3 heaping cups)
- ½ cup coconut aminos
- 2 Tbsp Sriracha*
- 1 Tbsp garlic chili sauce*
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Fried egg
- Scallions, chopped
- Sesame seeds
- Sesame oil for finishing
- In a large skillet, heat the coconut oil on medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and ginger to the pan and sauté until the onions are translucent (about 5 minutes)
- Next, add the turkey, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Cook for about 8-10 minutes, until it is *almost* completely cooked through. You don’t want to overcook it.
- Meanwhile, combine the coconut aminos, sriracha, chili garlic sauce, rice vinegar, and fish sauce in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Add the shredded vegetables, pour the coconut aminos mixture over top, and cook for an additional 10 minutes, stirring every few minutes until the vegetables are tender, but not mushy.
- When ready to serve, fry up an egg for each individual serving. Top with sliced scallions, sesame seeds, and additional sriracha, if you like!
Check out Kyndra’s original recipe here too!