I really kick myself sometimes when it comes to making new recipes for you guys.
When I did my first Whole30 challenge with my crossfit gym back in 2013, before I started the blog, I made these Chili-Lime Chicken Wings a TON. At least once a week. For playoff football games, the Super Bowl, for birthdays, for random Tuesday nights, any time, any day, I’d eat these chicken wings. I knew it like the back of my hand. And then, when I started the blog, I was super focused on creating brand spanking new recipes for you guys, forgetting about a bunch of my favorites I have stored away in random folders, documents, google drive, a scrapbook of hand-written, favorite recipes from back in the day (nope, not kidding about this one)…you know, except for my Secret Recipe Guacamole, Chicken Saltimbocca, and a couple of other weekly staples that eventually did make it on ze blog.
What all this means? I have a bunch of golden recipe GEMS like this one hidden away in those folders, scrapbooks, in the chasm that is my computer…I just have to find them. The YIKES is real, you guys. But don’t worry – they’re coming SOON. Just a couple I found the other day: Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chili Mole, Blueberry Cinnamon Streusel Banana Bread, Paleo Chicken Satay Salad, Slow Cooker Adobo Pork…just to tease you!
But for now, these chicken wings. Ummm FAVE. So glad they’ve come back into my life. Hot from the chili but balanced out by the lime and cilantro mix? I’m there. If the spice is a little too much for you, (if you’re wondering the ONLY way you could make them any better) would be to dip them in some sort of cool dip – like my Paleo Ranch Dressing maybe??
Drooling it’s fine. Super Bowl parties here we coooome!
- 2 lbs chicken wings*
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 handfuls fresh cilantro (it’s fine to leave a little of the stems on!)
- Juice of 1 lime (2 Tbsp)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 tsp minced garlic
- Pat the chicken dry. Poke each chicken wing with a fork.
- In a small bowl, make the spice mix and rub it in to each drumstick.
- Take all the remaining ingredients (lime juice, cilantro, olive oil, garlic) and create a smooth paste by pureeing them in a blender.
- In a large resealable bag or container, pour the marinade all over the chicken. Make sure to rub the paste into all the bones!
- Put the chicken in the refrigerator and let marinate at least 4 hours to overnight. this is key!!
- Preheat the oven to broil on HIGH.
- Place the chicken on a cookie sheet with a wire rack on top. Broil on high for 5-7 minutes per side (take them out to turn them over with a fork), until the skin begins to crisp up a bit.
- Take the tray out and put aluminum foil over the whole tray (seal the sides on the baking dish) and bake for another 25 minutes at 325 degrees. This sounds like it may overcook the chicken, but trust me! The broiling gives the outside a great char and the extra baking will make sure the chicken is cooked all the way through and almost falls off the bone.)
- Serve and devour! P.s. These would be ridiiiiculous dipped in my Paleo Ranch Dressing!