Happy Cinco de Mayo, you guys!! Chips, salsa and margaritas for everyone!!
Would Cinco de Mayo really be Cinco de Mayo if there weren’t copious amounts of guacamole and margaritas involved?! Answer: no, no, definitely NOT. Bonus points if you can guess what movie that’s from! Hint: it’s one of my favorites and I quote it all the time.
But really. You guys know me, I take my guacamole obsession seriously over here. Remember my Secret Recipe Guacamole? I don’t call it Avocado Crack Sauce for nothing. This ish is addicting AF. I’d put that sh*t on anything and everything. I could (and in fact, I do) make a giant batch of that stuff every week and devour it with whatever dipping vessels are around: plantain chips, tostones, sweet potato fries…you name it, I’ve guac-ed it.
Last month, I went to this latin fusion restaurant with some friends, and we I had this out-of-body guacamole experience. First off, they let you CHOOSE what kind of guac you want, and the flavors vary by what’s in season. Traditional? Spicy? Mango? Pineapple-Bacon? Crab? They have them all. This time, our choices were the traditional, spicy, and mango. So, being difficult as usual, we asked if we could have both the toppings for the mango AND spicy guacamoles on the side. And, being the guac freak that I am, I decided to mix them together. woooooaaaaaaah. #mindblown. It was surprisingly, ridiculously good you guys. So naturally, I had to make my own.
Spicy Mango Guacamole was born. And obviously, served up with these Mango Lime Margaritas! The spicy jalapeno option, duh. You all know I’m on a spicy kick lately. Unless you’re a weirdo like my friend Daniela who judges me every time I put that jalapeno in my drink. RUDE.
The best part is? The margs AND guac totally complement each other, especially for your Cinco de Mayo feast! Want to kick it up a notch? Serve them with some tostones (fried green plantains). Heck, to the yes.
- 2 ripe avocados, halved and pitted
- 1 champagne mango, peeled and diced small
- ½ cup loosely packed cilantro, chopped
- ¼ medium onion, minced
- Juice of ½ lime (about 1 Tbsp)
- ½ jalapeno, minced (remove most of the seeds)
- 1 tsp minced garlic (about 1 large clove)
- ½ tsp salt, plus more to taste
- ½ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp chipotle chili powder
- Scoop the avocados out of their pits and mash with a fork or a potato masher. Leave some chunky bits, you don’t want to pulverize the crap out of it so you have pudding-like guac.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients except the mango. Be careful with those hot peppers!
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste (and add some more jalapeno if you want it even spicier!), then fold in the chopped mango.
- Serve with plantain chips or tostones and margaritas!!