Guess you guys can tell I like Brussels Sprouts, huh? Between my Brussels with Toasted Pine Nuts & Pomegranate, Buffalo Chicken Bacon Ranch Skillet with Roasted Brussels, Sweet & Sour Brussels Sprouts (which I GOT my brother to actually LIKE finally!!) and a couple more I didn’t even list (!)…. I may be low-key in love with these little guys. And now, Roasted Brussels Sprouts Rice! So even if you’re not totally on the “OMG I FREAKING LOVE BRUSSELS SPROUTS TRAIN” yet, one of these will deeefinitely will get you to be! And apparently a ton of people are on that train this year, because when I went to the store this week there were zero brussels sprouts left. ZERO. Okay, maybe a little tiny half of a rejected one that someone forgot to put in their bag. But there were none in bulk, none pre-packaged, not one anywhere.
So let’s talk about this rice business. What is “Brussels Sprouts Rice” anyway? You’ll prepare the brussels the same way you do cauliflower rice – just stick the bulbs (is that what you call them?) through the shredding attachment on the food processor, and boom! done. If you’re lazy like me, you don’t even have to cut the little stems off. Because it saves sooo much time. If you have a particular loathing for those stems, for sure, go ahead and cut them off before you shred them.
And then the best part, just like my Oven Roasted Cauliflower Rice, all you do with the shredded sprouts is toss them in a little oil, seasoning, spread them on a baking sheet and pop them in the oven. About 20 minutes later, they’re done! Fridge to table in under 30 minutes.
Favorite way to eat these? In my smoked salmon breakfast bowls for SURE. But I also love using these to make Whole30 ingredient meals by pairing them with something like my Easiest Slow Cooker chicken + sweet potato on the side, mixing them into my favorite tuna salad, making a giant bowl of brussels rice + roasted veggies + slow cooker pulled pork + sunny side eggs on top, or even scrambling them into some eggs in the morning with a little avocado and hot sauce on the side? Yuuuuuum.
- 1.5-2 lbs brussels sprouts
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt (Real Salt is my favorite!)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 375 and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Wash and dry the brussels sprouts. If you hate the stems, now would be a good time to cut those off (I just leave them on and notice no difference in the taste!). Next, put the sprouts through the shredding attachment on the food processor.
- Toss the shredded sprouts in a large bowl with 1 Tbsp olive oil, the sea salt and garlic.
- Spread the sprouts onto the prepared baking sheet, using a spatula or wooden spoon to spread them out evenly.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until the tops start to brown. Take them out of the oven, give them a stir, and let them sit for about 5 minutes before serving.
Like this? More Whole30 Meal Prep ideas & Ingredient Meals!