Guess what week it is. guess. what. week. it is. SUPER BOWL WEEK!
You know what that means. Because let’s be real, I LOVE football and so does my whole family. But the funny thing about the super bowl parties/shindigs we have every year is that everyone talks during the game…and goes silent during the commercials. Even in a house full of die-hard football fans. We don’t mess around here, people. Even if our team (NY giants, DUH) is so bad they didn’t even make the playoffs. Football is still football. And super bowl commercials are the BEST.
They’re definitely the highlight of the game. Except maybe that time the internet blew up because Janet Jackson had a “wardrobe malfunction” if we’re being PC here.
Anyway. Remember Terry Tate – office linebacker? Just try and tell me people getting unexpectedly clotheslined by a huge NFL linebacker in an office isn’t funny. What about that adorable little kid wearing the darth vader costume trying to use the force on things around his house, then makes the volkswagen turn on with his magical powers (aka the remote start?) Let’s not forget the old school “Bud. Wise. Errrrr” frogs or the “wazzaaaaaaaaap” Budweiser commercials. Classic. And of course the Clydesdales and puppies. Especially when they’re playing football. Or the ADORABLE “best buds” one from last year.
So basically, the super bowl means football, funny commercials, great time with friends/family, and most importantly, because this is a food blog after all…great tailgate themed food!!
We usually have a
pretty good AWESOME assortment of food for the big game, whether it’s at our house or we’re bringing food to someone else’s. I’m going to do a great big recipe roundup later this week so you have a bunch of super bowl ideas wayy beyond plain chips and salsa. Stay tuned. But one thing we always have without fail is chicken wings/drumsticks. Why are they so good? Is it because you get to feel like a caveman biting the meat off the bone and they’re finger-licking good?? Maybe. Who knows.
Are you hungry yet? I know I am. Especially for these crispy, mouthwatering nuggets of golden delicious chicken that are sure to spice up any super bowl party.
- About 14 chicken drumsticks (I used one of those family packs from whole foods)*
- 2 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cardamom**
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ginger
- ½ tsp sea salt
- When you’re ready to cook, preheat the oven to 375 F on convection bake (or 400 F non-convection).
- Make the spice blend: combine the turmeric, cardamom, onion and garlic powder, cinnamon, ginger and sea salt in a small bowl and stir until the ingredients are well mixed.
- Dump the chicken in a large mixing bowl and toss it with the coconut oil, then sprinkle in all of the spice blend and stir to coat all sides of the chicken.
- Arrange the drumsticks on a baking sheet with a roasting rack on top and pop it in the oven.
- Bake the chicken for 40-45 minutes, flipping the pieces halfway through the cooking time.
- Turn the oven up to broil (450-500 degrees) and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes to get a nice crisp on the skin.
- EAT UP!
**for AIP, omit the cardamom.
Want more free, fantastic recipe ideas like this in your email? Be sure to sign up for my weekly newsletter!