Does an apple a day keep the dentist away? I’ll get back to you on that one. I did go to the dentist last week, he said my teeth were fine, and I’ve been eating a lot more apples than normal. But my teeth are usually fine. So there goes that extremely scientifically-based conclusion. Let’s run a study on a bunch of people with bad teeth and make them eat tons of apples to see if their teeth improve. Hey all you British people…any volunteers? oops. Mildly offensive.
Sorry guys, it’s not our fault your stereotype is bad teeth. My french host family abroad thought all Americans acted (and looked) like the Simpsons and ate donuts and McDonalds every day. Which may or may not be true for a large part of our population. Think I’d rather have bad teeth than look like Homer Simpson, but that’s just me. My dad might say differently – he always jokes when he gets old(er) he’s going to take up residence in a lounge chair in my living room and act exactly like Homer. The donuts, beer gut, belching, falling asleep with the TV on and yelling at anyone who tries to change the channel…the whole 9 yards. I don’t think he’s kidding. You can tell how excited I am for that to happen.
I’m going to try and forget that image.
These breakfast sausages are best served with my Perfect Fried Eggs. Dip the sausage in that runny yolk, you won’t regret it. Trust me.
- 1 tsp ghee or coconut oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 apple, peeled and diced
- 5 sage leaves, chopped
- 3 tsp roasted garlic (or 4 cloves)
- 1 ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper*
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ medium yellow onion, diced
- optional: 1-2 Tbsp maple syrup or honey
- Preheat the oven to 400 and grease a loaf pan with 1 tsp melted ghee. You could also form your meat mixture into sausage shapes and either fry them up in a skillet or bake them in the oven, but hey, I’m lazy.
- Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl. Get in there with your hands!
- Push your meat mixture into the loaf pan so it’s spread evenly.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until cooked through and only a tiny bit of pink remains in the center of your sausage.
- Cut into 8 slices and serve.