Let’s talk about alcohol. And cocktails. And fun things of the sort. Because we all have that love-hate relationship with wanting to go out and have an awesome time…but the hangover the next day? Not so much.
Over the last few years since I’ve drastically changed the way I’ve eaten (you know, thanks to that whole celiac and lactose-intolerant thing) and started treating my body the right way with exercise, sleep, recovery, and and an all-around healthier lifestyle, alcohol and I have had a love-hate relationship. I love going out with friends and having a drink or a few at happy hour, a holiday party, late night concert, summer BBQ, bachelorette party in Vegas, what have you. BUT. I know it makes me feel like absolute balls the next day, and for a few days after I can just tell my body is off, with my sleep cycle, my performance in the gym, and cravings get outta whack. Know what I mean??
So I’ve been struggling to figure out what kind of alcohol and drinks my body can tolerate so I can have fun and still feel great, both while I’m drinking and the next day. Because nobody really wants to wake up with a charlie sheen-style hangover, but we all still want to be social and have a good time.
Solution: make a cocktail with a combination of an alcohol that won’t wreck you (lighter spirits, like white rum or silver tequila) and a mixer with some healthy benefits, like probiotic boosting kombucha, to help your stomach and liver sort out the alcohol while you’re drinking it! Plus, this cocktail has no added sugar in it (aside from what’s already in the kombucha), so it’s naturally sweet. Which is even more awesome, because it’s the sugar in mixed drinks that really gets you that awful, awful hangover the next day. Result: no head-pounding, not-getting-out-of-bed-til-4pm hangover necessary. Plus, it’s totally delicious. And fancy AF with these watermelon ice cubes, right??
If you’re struggling with the transition away from soda to more natural drinks (or just feel like ICK, Kombucha is so vinegary!!), this is the Kombucha for you. It’s slightly sweeter than most other brands I’ve tried, but that makes it perfect for a cocktail, where you don’t need any added sugar!
If these drinks don’t scream summer party to you, I don’t know what does. I mean, hello. Those watermelon ice cubes??
- 1 bottle Blueberry LIVE Kombucha
- ½ cup blueberries
- 2-3 oz light rum** (depending on how strong you want it!)
- Juice of 1 lime (2 Tbsp)
- 2 large sprigs mint
- 2 cups ice cubes OR watermelon ice cubes (recipe below)
- 4 cups diced seedless watermelon
- Water, as needed, to thin out
- For the watermelon ice cubes: puree the watermelon in a blender, and add a little water if you need to thin it out. Pour into an ice cube tray and freeze until completely frozen (at least a couple hours).
- When you’re ready to assemble the cocktails: pour half of the blueberries into each glass. Pick the mint from the sprigs, and place it all in one hand, then clap your hands together. No, I’m not kidding. A bartender taught me this releases the aroma of the mint! Put the mint in with the blueberries, and pour in the lime juice and rum.
- Squish everything around with a wooden spoon until the blueberries release their juices.
- Distribute the ice cubes evenly in each glass, filling it almost to the top.
- Pour half the kombucha in each glass, and watch that cool fizzing action! Give it a stir, and garnish with a lime wedge. Drink up!
This post is sponsored as part of a collaboration with LIVE Soda Kombucha. Go check them out!