Currently in full-on fall comfort food mode. Though judging by the last few chili, slow cooker, and instant pot recipes, you could probably tell, no? And this Slow Cooker Paleo Chicken Tikka Masa hits the SPOT. Like do I ever need to go to an Indian restaurant again to get this dish? Probably not. It’s THAT good.
Real talk though. For the next couple weeks I’m entering into full-on-hermit/study mode before my board exam mid-November. EEK. Which means stress level will be high, which ALSO means it’s extra important for me to take care of myself with food, sleep, self-care, and all the other goodies. Aka making my meals as easy and nourishing as possible – hellooooo meal prep, slower cooker and instant pot!!
But. Know what I’m even more excited about than being done with this hellish period in my life and being DONE with my board exam?
I’m going to Vegas with one of my best friends the week after. SQUEAL.
I. Cannot. WAIT. I’m not much of a gambler, but I do love the shows, the music, the clubs, and the food!! I had no idea before I went the first time, but it is extremely easy to be accommodated with food allergies and dietary restrictions in Sin City. Who knew? So I will defintely be writing all about my trip – my favorite food spots, gyms I tried out (okay let’s be real, it’ll probably only be one gym while my friend is at her PA conference – because dancing all night totally counts as a workout. right? right??), and epically cool stuff to do while having a (relatively) healthy vacation in Vegas. We may or may not be seeing Backstreet Boys. *fangirling so hard it’s fiiiine*
But first, gotta make it through these next couple weeks. Bring on the comfort food like this Slow Cooker Paleo Chicken Tikka Masala!
P.S. – I updated the recipe so there are instant pot instructions too!
- 1.5 -2 lbs chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces*
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp minced ginger
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- ½ Tbsp sea salt
- ½ Tbsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, (or more for heat!)
- 14oz (1 can) tomato puree
- ½ can full fat coconut milk
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp arrowroot
- 2 tablespoons filtered water
- Oven roasted cauliflower rice
- Combine the cut up chicken, onion, garlic, ginger, all the spices, and sea salt in the slow cooker. Stir with a wooden spoon so all the pieces are evenly coated.
- Peel and dice the onion. Peel and mince the garlic and ginger.
- Stir in the tomato puree, coconut milk and bay leaves. Stir to combine well.
- Cover and cook for 6 hours on low.
- When the timer is almost done, whisk together the 2 Tbsp water and arrowroot to create a slurry. Pour over the chicken and gently stir. Let it cook with the top off for an additional 10 minutes so the sauce will thicken.
- Serve warm, with oven-roasted cauliflower rice and chopped cilantro!
- combine all the ingredients except the coconut milk, arrowroot, and water in the instant pot. Stir everything to make sure it's well mixed and the chicken is nestled in the sauce.
- Secure the lid, and press the poultry button (it should read 15 minutes). Allow the cycle to finish, then quick release the pressure valve.
- Don't turn off the IP yet - allow it to stay on the warm setting while you whisk together the 2 Tbsp water and arrowroot to create a slurry. Pour over the chicken and gently stir in the coconut milk.
- Let the sauce thicken for a few minutes - then serve warm over cauliflower rice with cilantro on top!
Have you guys been to Vegas? Any favorite gluten-free / paleo or real food spots I should hit up? Let me know in the comments!