Dear Austin, oh Austin (Texas). This is not a love letter to a friend named Austin, CHILL. More like an I miss you letter to all the bomb-a** food I had in Austin at PaleoFX. Like those bowls at Fresa’s. Uuuugh I miss those bowls. And that charred cauliflower I told you guys about. I tried to recreate it at home, but turns out that insane vinaigrette I was raving about is a LOT harder to figure out when you don’t have the recipe and only slightly remember what all the flavors tasted like.
So I figured I’d do a bowl inspired by the one I had at Fresa’s, rather than trying to recreate that cauliflower dish. But don’t worry, I won’t give up!! Because that sauce was TOO. DANG. GOOD.
Ok, so back to this Pineapple Chipotle Shrimp Cauliflower Rice Bowl. Time to take a trip to flavortown, as my favorite food network show’s host would say. It’s kind of a cinco de mayo Whole30-style bowl, but feeling like you could (and would want to) eat this year round. Especially because summer is quickly approaching, and the combination of sweet from the mango + pineapple plus savory and spicy from the cauliflower rice, chipotle shrimp, and this totally insane, blow-your-tastebuds coconut chipotle sauce is peeeerfect for summer.
Plus it’s totally pretty with all the colors. And you eat with your eyes first, right??
Kind of ironic, because when you guys are devouring this bowl that makes you feel like summer, I’ll be most likely freezing my butt off hiking around some glaciers in Iceland. Definitely not complaining, since it’s going to be the trip of a lifetime…but I’m kind of over winter and the cold and the rain. Can’t WAIT to recap you guys on that trip when I get back too!
PS – want to make this recipe even faster and easier? I used frozen cauliflower rice and frozen mixed peppers. This is actually a recipe I make when I’m down to the bare bones of my pantry – I usually use frozen shrimp, frozen cauliflower rice and peppers! Or use some leftover carnitas for the protein instead!
P.P.S. I know this Pineapple Chipotle Shrimp Cauliflower Rice Bowl looks like a really long ingredients list. And it may seem complicated. But basically, this recipe in a nutshell: throw together some cauliflower rice and peppers and onions to cook together while you chop up the toppings for your bowl, then make the sauce, cook the shrimp, and throw it all together. Devour.
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled
- 1 bag riced cauliflower
- 1 bag frozen mixed peppers (you could also sub fresh!)
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp ghee, divided
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp chipotle powder
- ¼c coconut milk yogurt
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
- ½ Tbsp lime juice
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp paprika
- Salt + pepper, to taste
- Sliced avocado
- Sliced pineapple
- Sliced mango
- Sliced lime
- Chopped Cilantro
- First, make the peppers. In a large skillet, heat 1 Tbsp ghee until hot. Add the chopped onion and 1 Tbsp garlic. Stir with a wooden spoon and sauté for about 5 minutes over medium heat, until the onions start to become translucent.
- Add the frozen peppers, and cook an additional 5 minutes, until they start to soften.
- Add the cauliflower rice and cook for another 5-7 minutes.
- Season the skillet with 1 tsp salt, chipotle powder, and you could even add in a little of your favorite taco seasoning if you like! (but remember, we still have the sauce!)
- While the skillet is cooking, make the chipotle-adobo sauce. Stir all the ingredients together and set aside until serving.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, heat another Tbsp of ghee. When it’s hot, add the shrimp and cook for about 2-3 minutes a side (depending on the size of your shrimp), until cooked through.
- Assemble the bowls! Start with the cauliflower rice / peppers mixture on the bottom, top with sliced pineapple, mango, avocado, and a slice of lime, and add the shrimp on top. Drizzle with the chipotle-adobo sauce and eat up!