Let’s be real here. Cooking gets a little cumbersome in the summer months when it’s hot AF and you don’t feel like baking (metaphorically, not literally in the sense of making delicious treats) in the kitchen when it’s just as hot outside as it is in your oven. Slash the heat just makes me super lazy and my meal prep game goes waaay down when I’m so busy swim coaching in the summer…read: running around after little kids like a chicken with its head cut off, it’s fine.
My normally super on point mealtime game of coming home to a fridge full of leftovers (batch cooking for the win!) is nowhere to be seen, and now when I’m hungry I spend at least 5 minutes staring at the contents of my fridge trying to come up with some way I could magically make anything in there into a delicious meal before things get ugly and I get hangry. Let’s just say it’s been a lot of random ingredient meals that don’t go together at all. And lots of smoothies. Lots, and lots of smoothies.
BUT. Summer is the absolute freaking best when it comes to fresh produce, and you don’t want to let those gorgeous summer squash, tomatoes, potatoes, etc go to waste! So I’ve been coming up with some super easy, super fast and delicious one-pot meals that you can throw together and have leftovers for days (at least, if you hoard them for yourself, like I’ve been known to do on occasion…)
That’s where the idea for this dish came from. I had a sh*t ton of produce from my farmers market and From the Farmer, and wanted to figure out a way I could use it all up in one go. Solution: chop it all up, throw it in a skillet with some garlic, Tessemae’s, herbs, and shrimp because they’re super fast to cook, and BOOM. Totally faceplant worthy. And pretty too, if I do say so myself.
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled & de-veined
- 2 Tbsp Tessemae’s Lemon Garlic Dressing
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb red or purple potatoes
- 2 medium zucchini or summer squash
- ½ medium yellow onion, sliced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup kalamata olives, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp sea salt, plus more to taste
- ¼ tsp fresh ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- Fresh basil, for garnish
- Optional: feta cheese, for garnish (Whole30 omit)
- Place the peeled & de-veined shrimp in a bowl and toss with 2 Tbsp Tessemae’s Lemon Garlic dressing. Set aside.
- Chop the potatoes and zucchini into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the potatoes and garlic, and cook for about 5 minutes, until potatoes can be pierced with a fork. They don’t need to be cooked completely through yet, as they will continue cooking with the other ingredients.
- Add the onions and summer squash, give the pan a few stirs with a wooden spoon, and put a top on the skillet. Cook for an additional 5 minutes, until the zucchini and potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes, olives, shrimp (with dressing), oregano, salt and pepper. Cook for a final 5 minutes, until the shrimp are cooked through.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste (use ¼ tsp increments at a time). Garnish with fresh basil and optional feta cheese.
This post is sponsored by the awesome folks at From the Farmer and Tessemae’s! All snarky opinions are my own 🙂