You guys, these past few weeks have been freaking nuts. It’s no wonder I got sick the week after the super bowl, got better again, and then got sick AGAIN when I went on vacation a week later. The struggle is so real.
Between grad school + working in the nutrition clinic every week, swim coaching, coming up with new recipes and fun posts for you guys, and trying to keep up with life/my head above water (haha, swimming puns), it’s gotten to the point where even though I’m mostly getting 8-9 hours of sleep a night, IT’S NOT ENOUGH. And to think, most people only get 6 or 7…I don’t know how you guys do it.
Needless to say, meal prepping has kind of been falling by the wayside. So my meals have been pretty basic lately, not too many fancy recipes around here. BUT. Even though they’re nothing fancy, life’s too short to eat boring food. Right? So to make things easy on myself, I keep a few of my favorite spice blends + sauces on hand (umm hellooooo Tessemae’s, DUH) so I can throw together some basic ingredients really fast, and then fancy them up with those spices + sauces. Easy, healthy cooking made freaking DELICIOUS, for the win.
Like this Warm Brussels Sprouts Slaw with Apples & Walnuts. I was getting a liiiittle bored with my usual roasted brussels sprouts (and even my Roasted Brussels Sprouts Rice! The horror…) so I decided to make something a little different. Not complicated, but different. I shredded and roasted up a bunch of brussels sprouts, then made them into a warm slaw-type dish with some chopped apples, walnuts, red onions, and a DELISH vinaigrette with Tessemae’s Lemon Garlic, mustard, white wine vinegar, and some maple syrup. Um YUM, pleaseandthankyou. It makes a big batch too, so I can have it on hand for a couple days of quick meals when I don’t feel like prepping vegetables. So like every other meal. Oops. Yes I’m a soon-to-be Nutritionist, YES I run a food blog, and YES, even I don’t feel like cooking sometimes. But that doesn’t mean I’m sacrificing on flavor, no way!
This is also the perfect dish to bring to a potluck. To make it Whole30, just omit the maple syrup! You can serve it warm, or cold is delicious too!
- 1 lb brussels sprouts
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium apple, cored and diced
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts
- 4 Tbsp Tessemae’s Lemon Garlic Dressing
- 1.5 Tbsp mustard (I like coarse ground or Dijon here)
- 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp fresh ground black pepper (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Shred the brussels sprouts using the slicing attachment on the food processor (this one produces larger slices, rather than “rice” from the shredding attachment). Toss the shredded brussels with 1 Tbsp olive oil and spread on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast for about 20 minutes at 375 F.
- Meanwhile, combine the dressing ingredients in large bowl - the Lemon Garlic dressing, mustard, white wine vinegar, garlic, sea salt, pepper, and maple syrup, if using. Then stir in the apple + walnuts and toss with dressing.
- When the brussels sprouts come out of the oven, toss them in the dressing mixture, and allow to sit for at least 5 minutes prior to serving. Serve warm.
This post is part of a sponsored collab with my friends from Tessemae’s!